donderdag 18 november 2010

I heart ... Sue Perkins

Please forgive me dear reader, as you've probably by now noticed that this episode of I heart ... is in English. There is indeed a purpose to this, which is that I secretly hope that the subject of this I heart ... will actually read the blog and thereupon decides that she'll want to spend her summer holidays with me. Or at least have coffee together.

Susan Elizabeth Perkins is a very versatile British cultural phenomenom. She writes, acts, presents, cooks, makes documentaries, conducts orchestras, was a judge for the Man Booker Prize in 2009. And she's not afraid to say she feels she's a feminist. And she's just marvelous.

I first met Sue when she hosted Edwardian Supersize Me, a television programme where she and foodcritic Giles Coren sought to live the Edwardian culinary life of five meals a day culminating to 5000 calories. This was culinary constume drama galore. I was hooked from the first episode of The Supersizers onwards and cursed the BBC for not allowing non-British viewers to use the iPlayer system.

Ms Perkins is currently starring in another culinary mediaquest, where she once again teams up with Giles Coren to investigate the selfsufficient lifestyle of the seventies following the example of The Good Life, a sitcom where couple Tom and Barbara decide they wish to escape the rat race and start a farm in their garden. I know it's no use telling you that watching Sue paint a henhouse pink, make an omelette with Swiss chard or try to produce wine out of peas is really funny and hilarious. But it is! You should give it a try, every Mondayevening at 22.00 on BBC2.

I'm having a hard time expressing what kind of love it exactly is I feel for Sue. I look up to her and admire her and she makes me laugh when I'm miserably couchpotatoeing. But what I love the most about her is her wit. She nevers wears her heart on her sleeve and she truly is one of the most clever women in present day media. I don't even think there is a Dutch equivalent, is there? Perhaps I should offer her a passport.

Sue Perkins, for me, even is a role-model. There, I've said it. Dear Sue, if you happen to read this and expect to be in the neighbourbood sometime soon, please drop me a line. A signed book of The Good Life would be wonderful as well (does this make me sound too much of a groupie?). I look forward to hearing from you.

2 opmerkingen: